Utmost IV Device Characterization and SPICE Modeling
Utmost IV provides an easy-to-use, database-driven environment for the characterization of semiconductor devices and the generation of accurate, high-quality SPICE models, macro-models and Verilog-A models for analog, mixed-signal and RF applications.
As device geometries get smaller, it is increasingly more critical for technologists to use accurate models and control statistical variations in device processing performance. Circuit designers need models that can accurately predict DC behaviors, as well as RF and noise behaviors. Different process technologies require a variety of models that can be quickly adapted to the unique processes. With modeling measurements taking hours or even days, measurement control software must also work with probers and instruments to allow automated measurements across temperature.
Silvaco’s Utmost IV is the industry’s premier solution to address these challenges for the characterization and modeling of cutting-edge CMOS and compound semiconductor devices. Utmost IV consists of four modules:
This module is used to measure physical devices directly, using various types of electrical test equipment. These measured results, or “datasets,” are stored directly in the database. Datasets can also be generated from TCAD or other SPICE simulations. This is particularly useful when comparing two SPICE models or when converting from one SPICE model type to another.
This module is used to extract and optimize SPICE model parameters to obtain an accurate fit between simulated and measured device characteristics. The datasets stored in the database are used as targets for the model extraction. Compact, macro (subcircuit), and Verilog-A models can be generated for all device types.
Model Check Module
This module provides an easy-to-use tool to explore and test existing MOSFET device models. A simple GUI interface enables the user to display characteristic curves or plot extracted characteristics, such as threshold voltage versus device length. This module can be used without the need to create an interface to the database, making it ideal for quickly checking legacy models.
Optimization templates for the most commonly used MOSFET, TFT, HEMT, IGBT, BJT, and diode models are available in Utmost IV. The templates are designed to speed up the setup procedure, and increase the user’s productivity. This is done through an easy to follow, step-by-step project configuration, with clear instructions along the way. This feature, which requires very little modeling experience, also enhances the ease of use.
- Store your data in either the file system or in a database
- Automated measurement and SPICE model extraction of any device type
- Full control of all measurement conditions
- Over 100 different measurement instruments
- Open architecture instrument drivers can be modified or created by user
- Extract any compact, macro-model or Verilog-A SPICE model
- Combine direct extraction and parameter optimization techniques
- Simulate and optimize any combination of data including extracted data values
- Family of advanced optimizers, including genetic type optimizers
- High-speed multi-threaded SmartSpice interface
- Supports SmartSpice, HSPICE, Eldo and Spectre simulators
- Verilog-A model and extraction sequence co-development platform
- Integration with TCAD tools provides process simulation to SPICE model development flow
- Store, share and re-use data using Firebird relational database
- Easy data import from Utmost III legacy data, TCAD simulation files or competitor data files
- Versatile and user-programmable industry standard for semiconductor device modeling
- Fast and accurate automated measurement software
- Powerful, easy-to-use device characterization tool
- Efficient, flexible and powerful industry standard SPICE modeling software
- Seamless TCAD integration for complete custom design flow from TCAD to signoff verification and acceptance
- Device characterization, SPICE model generation