Mechanical (Stress, Strain) Engineer
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Position Description and Responsibilities
Silvaco is looking for a software engineer to join our process simulation team in one of the company’s offices in Europe. Working at the very center of the TCAD group, you would be working on stress simulation aspects (mechanical stress as well as viscous stress and its effects). As a Software Developer, you will help Silvaco develop and deliver high quality products and services.
As a member of the TCAD group, you will design, implement, evaluate, and improve numerical methods, physical models and simulation methodologies. The successful candidate will be an experienced software engineer with expertise in simulating mechanical and/or viscous stress effects, whereby software development experience is at least as good as the knowledge of using software packages for simulating these kinds of problems. Since solving stress simulation problems often goes along with challenges in creating good simulation meshes, experience in that area or at least understanding his/her relevance and impact will be very beneficial. As an integral member of a team of highly trained and experienced engineers, the successful candidate must also be able to:
- Develop, support, test, and maintain existing simulation software.
- Identify and understand limitations of existing software components.
- Improve and develop simulation methodologies.
- Develop and provide software solutions for physical models.
- Understand and improve numerical schemes relevant for stress simulation problems.
- Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Communicate complex ideas and testing results effectively; both orally and written
- Must be able to work independently and solve the problems on his/her own initiative.
- Provide accurate and effective written documentation.
- Good communication and organization skills, with a logical approach to problem solving, good time management, and task prioritization skills.
- Displays strong analytical abilities both quantitative and qualitative.
- Strong Organization and time management skills.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of complicated tasks – certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- A key requirement of this role is being the master of all details.
- Ability to multi-task and handle matters with little supervision and with excellent follow up.
- Must be able work alongside dynamic individual team members as a day-to-day partner in moving the business forward, holding reports accountable for forecasts and other business objectives.
- A strong entrepreneurial and can-do mindset, undaunted by shifting priorities, uncertainty, and a “figuring it out as we go” environment.
- Enough courage to say, “I don’t know”.
- PhD in Physics, Engineering, or related field
- Strong proficiency in C++ or equivalent object-oriented programming language
- Extensive experience in software design
- Experience in software development within teams (code sharing)
- Experience in simulating stress related problems including validation of simulation results
- Strong knowledge in solid-state physics, mechanics of materials and theory of elasticity
- Good presentation skills, communication skills and technical writing skills desired
- Working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
To apply send resume to HR@silvaco.com